Sunday, May 1, 2011

The High School Prom

Last night I noticed pictures being taken out in many yards throughout our small town. It was prom night. I remember my two proms. They were and still are the biggest social event of the high school year. For young individuals, they can be nights to remember or nights to forget.

I taught high school for 33 years. I think that I only missed two proms, during that time. I was involved in 17 as a sponsor or adult chaperon. Proms have changed a lot in those years. We use to decorate the gym. We had themes of The Wild Wild West, Camelot. Alice in Wonderland, Putting on the Ritz, Happy Days and many more. Eventually, it became too expensive to buy decorations to throw away.

We moved the prom to various sights. We would rent a hall and hire a DJ instead of a band. Dinners became very expensive. It almost got to where we couldn't afford so much. Eventually, parents got involved by hosting an after prom. This was a great idea. Gifts would be given away to the students that spent the night in a secure location. We even gave away a car. Games, movies, entertainment and food would be provided. Parents would work to raise money for the after prom. All of this so the kids would have fun, but stay safe.

I remember seeing a movie called "Blood on the Highway". The movie was to scare us into not drinking while attending the prom. In later years, the State Police would put on a bad wreck exhibit and give a lecture on responsibility of the prom driver.

When I saw the pictures being taken, it brought back many memories of proms past. It still is a big event for teens.

No comments: